Friday, May 29, 2009

Meme: Blast from the Past

Lance tagged me with an interesting meme. A blast from the past, so to speak. The question is: “What do you remember about being a newbie?” Quite a lot, so let’s get the show on the road…

  • I started playing WoW from a 10-day free trial disc I had in my Warcraft 3 box. It was European, but I was in the US at the time. Therefore, for the first few months of my WoW career it was always nighttime when I was on.
  • I used to buy every piece of equipment from vendors. If it had more armor, I’d equip it. I was oblivious to stats, so greens were usually sold.
  • At some point I wanted to equip a weapon I didn’t have the skill for. I had to go from Darnassus to Stormwind, so I went to Menethil Harbor. However, instead of running through the Wetlands and Loch Modan to take the Deeprun Tram in Ironforge, I decided it was safer to swim along the coast. I swam all the way to Westfall, hugging the high cliffs to prevent getting fatigued.
  • I already felt noobish by doing that, but to my surprise, I was caught up by a Druid in aquatic form! Apparently there was someone as crazy as me...
  • My Night Elf newbie (my first char ever) was only level 20 when I got the expansion. As soon as I got it, I started playing Blood Elf and Vaadren was born. Burning Crusade has been a big part of my playing.
  • Vaadren has always been my main, and always Retribution. I only respecced once for the first year, and only to optimize my DPS spec.
  • Sword & Board has never interested me. I tried it out for the first few levels, but as soon as I got a badass claymore from one of the early on Blood Elf quests, the sword and shield were discarded.
  • My first ever instance was Shadowfang Keep. I was asked to tank it, even though I was Ret. I had no idea what a tank was at the time, but did so anyway, and did well. Later on I’d realize it was only because I was a lvl 33 Paladin in a lvl 20-ish instance.
  • My first guild was called Guardians of Kalimdor, a social guild that just invited everyone who wanted in. I met a lot of good people there, and a fair bit of those people are current guildies even. We really stuck together…
  • Back then, Paladins still had the old Seal System. 30 second seals that were transferred to the enemy upon judging. A lot more buttons to press.
  • My primary goal back then was to reach level 40 and get a mount. I never expected to get any further than that. Then, all of a sudden, I was standing in front of the Dark Portal, ready to pass through it. Go figure.
  • I used to hear my old GoK guildies talk about Karazhan and its attunement. “I’ll never get there.” I thought. A few months later I cleared Karazhan on a weekly basis with Samsara, and we’re up to Ulduar now.
  • My epic mount took ages. I insisted on getting the Charger, and didn’t want to waste gold on the riding skill if I’d get it along with the Charger anyway. It cost me all my gold and a trip to Stratholme, but I got it in the end. I still see the Charger quest as a “Rite of Passage” for Paladins.
  • The level cap never changed anything about my noobish actions. Using Seal of Blood on Prince Malchezaar, trying to tank Arcatraz in Ret spec (I thought he meant Auchenai Crypts, but still…), pulling an entire army of ghosts from the Opera stage in Karazhan, the list goes on…

My WoW life has been a long, strange trip on its own. Where’s my Violet Proto Drake?

I won’t tag anyone, it’s up to all of you if you want to pick this up or not. Either post them in a reply, or post the link to your blogpost in a reply. If you do, I’ll be sure to read them.

I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment