Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What do YOU find important?

A while ago you could read about Samsara’s efforts in Naxx25 with a raiding coalition. In the end it didn’t work out, so 25-mans were out the window for a while. But now we’re back, this time with a full Samsaran force.

However, as we make our first steps into 25-man content, it's become apparent that some aspects of raiding have to be looked at, perhaps even revised. After all, 25-man content is very different from 10-man content, even if the dungeon is the same. Several aspects of raiding are under discussion right now, and it has made me think:

What do I find important in raiding?

Every person is different, and thus everyone has a different view of how things should go and what is important. I’ve always been one of the middle road, seeking balance between both extremes. If I had to classify myself, I’d have to say I’m a fun-seeking progression raider. I want to progress, I want to see new things, I want to beat the bosses. But it’s still a game, not a job. If I can’t have fun, count me out.

Ever since I’ve started raiding, I’ve been aching to see more. I set a personal goal for myself: to be a part of the progression team without sacrificing my life outside WoW. It’s a hard goal to reach, and even harder to maintain.

Keeping that “profile” in mind, I can sum up things that are important to me while raiding.

Professionalism would be the major one. I love a joke as much as the next guy (and more often than not I’m one of the people making them), but when starting a raid I set my mind to the goal at hand: clearing the raid instance, and doing my utmost best as a member of the raid group. Preparation is a big part of that. It’s my belief that, as soon as the raid starts:

- You’ve repaired your gear
- You’ve bought all your buff food, flasks, scrolls, reagents and whatever else you need.
- You’ve read up on boss tactics if you haven’t quite gotten the hang of the fight yet.
- You’ve been around for a few minutes already (if real life allows it, as is not always the case)

Also, during a raid:

- Should the raid wipe, don’t wait for a rez but corpse run if everyone else does as well.
- Let the Raid Leader speak when he’s explaining something, interrupting and/or publicly disagreeing with a Raid Leader is rude and disrespectful.

I’ve seen many of these things happen while raiding, more often than not in PuG raids (why I still bother with them, I sometimes wonder). Of course there’s no pure right or wrong in these things. Warcraft should never become more important than real life, and if real life issues require you to leave mid-raid, then so be it. People might be late because they were held up by something, no problem. And everyone is “guilty” of these things every now and then, including myself. But when you see people consistently showing up un(der)prepared and acting that way during a raid, the will to group up with that person quickly diminishes. I vowed never to become that way myself. I have always played with the goal to be viewed as a respectful, dependable, valuable player and person. This carries on into every aspect of the game, as I’m not only upholding my own reputation as a respected player, but also the reputation of the guild.

As controversial as it is, and perhaps a bit unexpected for the people that know me well, loot is also important. As I said, it’s my goal to be a progression raider, seeing the content that is offered to us. And while experience and class knowledge is a very important factor, you will also need the gear to back it up. I don’t care for gear because I want to be the best of the best, I find it important because I don’t want to fall behind. I want to keep up with my goal, and my fellow guildmates and friends.

The most important factor of all is the fun factor. This game is for relaxation, entertainment. I play it because I want to forget about the worries of the world for a bit and just enjoy myself with my friends online. If at some point any aspect of the game isn’t fun anymore, I’ll stop doing it. I enjoy my fair share of PvP every now and then, although Arena doesn’t interest me at all. Result? I hop into a Battleground once every full moon, and avoid Arena. Same goes for raiding. If it ever loses the fun factor (and I hope with all my heart won’t ever), I’ll stop raiding. As much as I like progression, I equally enjoy the many Naxx10 runs that have gotten me nothing but a great evening with friends. I don't just raid to progress, I raid because I love it. So let me crack my jokes, as terrible as they might be. Because if I can’t have a good time with my friends while raiding, I might as well call it quits.


As hard or elaborate as the answer might be, it’s always a good idea to ask yourself the question:

What do you find important?

1 comment:

  1. Wow you do post some real thought provoking articles. This being my second comment on your blog, my first being the quoted Anonymous in a past post about why we play the game, what makes it magic for us and have we lost that magic. Enough rambling now onto my thoughts: The things you list are something I strongly believe should be a requirement for those wanting to progress in a mature guild with boss kills being their goal. The less time you spend getting mats, repairs,r egents, flasks, food and people summoned the more time you can spend working on those tatics you might have seen on the internet but watching a strat in a movie and executing it ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Ulduar is going to force us as raiders to get back to those habits that made us successful in TBC, to concentrate on the task at hand, and to remember to not stand in the fire. I am afraid that a number of WoW players out there just dont care about "upholding my own reputation as a respected player, but also the reputation of the guild." It's all about me and all about my loot... dpsers that ask for a chart after every trash pull come to mind. A good team, a good leader, and focus these things will help you get the job accomplished.

    May the Light guide your path
    Taryl

    April 29, 2009 8:48 AM

    ReplyDelete