Friday, March 13, 2009

It's all fun and games...

...until someone loses an eye. At least that's what they say. So, was mondays Eye of Eternity fun and games?

Yes it was, but no one lost an eye. It being my first time up against Malygos, the fight was a learning curve. It took a while before we got phase 1 down, positioning right and making sure we all survive the vortex. However, sometimes it ticked for the expected 2000, and sometimes for a "mere" 1400. And as soon as we hit phase 2, the Nexus Lords just hit the crap out of us. It was incredible, the amount of damage we got, even inside the bubbles. It made me think Eye of Eternity was bugged for the night or something. More so because I had trouble seeing (and targeting) people until they moved, and our tank was seeing people up to their waist in the floor. All in all very strange. So, in the end we had to give in and let Malygos life for another night.

The Naxx10 follow-up was on tuesday, and it was a blast! We quickly cleared the Military Quarter, the only one left, and went on to Sapphiron, who we one-shotted without too much trouble. On to Kel'Thuzad! Last time I was in Naxx I got this far, but couldn't get him down. So needless to say, it was time to set things right! We made sure we were fully prepared, and headed in. Phase 1 is always a bore in my opinion, it takes quite long and doesn't get interesting until KT himself joins the fight. The problem of him joining the fight though, is the obvious and inevitable increase in raid damage. It proved too much for us on our first attempt, and the second try as well. On our third attempt we nailed it, and the achievements for downing KT and clearing Naxx filled the screen. That's one more for the record! One step closer to Champion of the Frozen Wastes.

And then Naxx25 the following day, with our raiding coalition! It was very enjoyable running with people I've never raided with before. All good people as well, both in skill and personality. Still, I didn't enjoy myself as much as I'd hoped I would. Maybe it was because we started (and finished) in the Construct Quarter, my least favorite wing. I'd rather see Military or Plague, those are the fun ones. We got to Thaddius and tried him a few times, but it just wasn't meant to be. So we went off to the Military Quarter and tried our hand on Razuvious, but it proved too late already for some people, so we had to call it.

It was 0.20 server time and we were done. Quite honestly, I don't have a problem with finishing early (0.20 is early for me, I'm a real night owl), but you can't combine it with starting late. If you start at 22.00, you can't finish at midnight. I know that we have a lot of people who just can't log on earlier or have to go before it's too late. They have children, they have jobs, they have various other obligations. And I respect that, because we all do. But quite honestly, two hours just isn't enough for a decent raid. Sartharion and Malygos don't need nearly that much time, provided everyone has experience with the fight and you only need two, maybe three attempts. But Naxxramas does. And especially in a 25-man, two hours just isn't going to cut it. Maybe when you've got it on farm, but not in the earliest stages of 25-manning.

Then again, maybe it's just me, and I just have too much time for this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment