Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Patch Notes & PTR

The patch notes for the Public Test Realm (PTR) came out, and I have mixed feelings about them. There's some better scaling for certain spells, some spells have been buffed, which is all good. However, also a lot about Retribution has been overhauled, including some (in my eyes) serious nerfs. Have a look yourself at https://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/underdev/testrealm.html and tell me what you think.

Things I like:
  • All Auras now affect all party and raid members within the area of effect. (Naturally)
  • Divine Intervention cooldown reduced to 20 minutes. (Useable more often than once or twice in raids/heroics)
  • Divine Strength (Holy) moved to tier 1 in the Protection tree. (Easier delving into prot tree for BoK)

Things I dislike:

  • Forbearance duration increased to 3 minutes. (Not THAT bad, but still)
  • Precision has been removed. (The worst thing Blizzard could do, with itemization as it is for Retribution. Getting hit capped while maintaining decent power will be hell)
  • Sanctity Aura (Retribution) removed. (Our main aura is gone. We'll have to put up retribution aura + 5 different ret aura buff talents to get the same effect...)
  • Vengeance (Retribution) now stacks up to 2 times, reduced from 3. (Weren't we putting out mediocre DPS as it was? Don't take away 5% of our damage then...)

So far I'm not too happy, but we'll see how it turns out. I downloaded the PTR and took a peek at what has been added. There's a huge queue for character copying, so I'll have to wait a bit till I can transfer Vaadren over and can fully explore the talent trees and such. Firelight at http://retribution-paladin.blogspot.com is pretty enthusiastic about how Ret turned out, so I hope I'm wrong and I'll still be able to play my class decently.

On the flipside, I did check out the barber shop, which is considered godlike I think. Everyone speaks highly of it, even though it's just a minor visual tweak to your char. The calendar is pretty nice as well, with all the in-game events already in there. It's easy to make any kind of event, and it looks good. I'll have to explore that a bit further with Vaadren.

Finally, the Achievements. I'm not too sure why they put that in, but I'm very excited about that. With achievements in every category you can think of (professions, reputation, PvP, questing) you will always have something to strive for. Bored of heroic grinding? Go do some PvP achievements to change the scenery. I know I'll be going for the Exploration Achievements, I've always loved exploring! (I used to be the Guild Cartographer in my old guild before everyone got the Cartographer addon)

That's it for now. I'll be dividing my attention between WoW and the PTR for a bit, so be sure to expect some more about both in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment